Friday, September 2, 2022

THE SELFISH SWEETNESS OF DEADLY BLISS

The other day I woke up and felt like I had to call an old friend in Germany that I worked with in the 80's but hadn't talked to in over ten years. So I called. He and his wife were pleasantly surprised that I was calling from the US just to find out how they were doing.
I remembered that their marriage had always been rocky, but here they were, both in their late seventies and still married. They told me that their son had committed suicide some time ago, which I sensed had brought them closer together and made them somewhat spiritual.

When they asked me how I was doing, I told them that Jesus had changed my life, and their reaction was joy and excitement. I thought, "Hallelujah, have they also given their lives to Jesus?"  But their answer was something like this: "It's a good thing to follow Jesus because you have to be spiritual in this life. That's the most important thing. We follow Buddha. It gives us so much joy and peace. We also explore other spiritual things. As long as you're spiritual, in whatever way, you're doing the right thing".

Everything inside me was screaming and I wanted to say, "Wait, you don't even know who Jesus is or what He says and who He claims to be. You know nothing about Him. If you knew who He was, you wouldn't follow anyone or anything else, because then you would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that your next life is something you can count on. An assurance that no one else can give you".
But I didn't say that. There was just no time to be a street preacher on the phone. And so the conversation went on about this and that, and then we said goodbye and hung up.

I felt guilty for not being more forceful, fearing the unpleasant repercussions of promoting Jesus' exclusivity more than their sad eternity without God.  I pray for them now. And that's what God tells us to do, to pray constantly for the lost.
But God has also opened my eyes. I know the unsaved world needs Jesus, but for the first time I experienced firsthand the selfish sweetness of deadly bliss that can only be found in false gods.

No comments: