Friday, November 17, 2006

I CONFESS, I AM A VEGETARIAN

After a Bible study on the book of Daniel, I had a conversation with a friend that would lead me to passionately defend my vegetarianism.

Certainly Daniel's temporary vegetarianism was an act of obedience to God. Nevertheless, I see the benefits of living a vegetarian life as a divine reward from God himself.  I believe that by choosing to be vegetarian, we are embracing God's original intention for humanity.

In the very beginning, in the book of Genesis, God envisioned a world filled with love and compassion. It was a perfect world, a perfect plan. And in that plan, we were meant to nourish ourselves with the bountiful fruits and vegetables that the earth provided  (Genesis 1:29 - before the fall).

Living in our fallen world, it is impossible to ignore the guilt that washes over us when we become aware of the horrifying conditions in our modern-day slaughterhouses. It's a grim reality that fits all too well into this fallen world. Just imagine, an innocent creature, striving to live out its God-given life span and savoring the joys of its existence, only to be sacrificed for our unnecessary culinary pleasure. It's a sobering thought.

But here's the remarkable thing: by choosing to be vegetarian, we can alleviate that guilt. We can distance ourselves from the horrors of the slaughterhouses and align ourselves with a more compassionate way of life. It's a way of living that resonates with God's original plan for a world filled with love and kindness.

And the rewards of this choice are not just spiritual, but also physical and mental. It's a fact, even in our modern age, that those who abstain from meat are often rewarded with better health. Our bodies thrive on the nutrients found in plant-based foods, and our minds find solace in knowing that we are not contributing to the suffering of innocent creatures.

I want to be clear: I don't believe that eating meat is a sin in any way. Not in this fallen world. The bible makes it clear that it is not (Acts 10:11-13). It is a personal choice, and I respect that. But for me, the benefits of not eating meat are an incredible gift from God. It's a way for me to honor His original plan, to live a life of compassion, and to nourish my body and mind in the most wholesome way possible.

“The Lord is good to all, 
and his compassion is over all 
that he has made.” 
Psalm 145:9

No comments: